March 20, 2012

Narwhal

Yeah, this has become an internet meme, but that's not why I've decided to pick narwhals to talk about today.

I've liked narwhals since I first saw them at the Field Museum (yes, they're there.  Just go down into the basement level, they're on a back wall, along with another man eating lion that didn't get as much recognition as the lions of Tzavo).  I don't know what it is about them, they just strike me as wonderous creatures.  They're known as unicorns of the sea simply because of that huge horn of theirs, but I don't know of any zoo or zoolike place which has kept them for others to come and observe.

Perhaps this is a size thing.  I'll admit, I don't know a lot about narwhals.  They look like they're about the size of dolphins so it seems like capturing them is a possibility, but then I suppose there are those horns to contend with, also I think they survive in colder water so maybe that's a problem too.  I know that no one would really want to swim with a narwhal.  If there's a chance you could be speared by something, you should probably stay away from it.

Here's to you magestic narwhal!

No comments:

Post a Comment