March 6, 2012

Day 12: History

You know what I've learned through the study of history?  Nobody loves their government.  Everything people write about is ideas on a new form of government or improving their own.  Nobody ever writes "Eh... things are cool.  No changes are really necessary."  I mean, I guess Aristotle could be considered content with his government but he wanted some improvements. 

That's probably a lie.  I'll bet people wrote about how awesome their government was but history just doesn't care about them because they never started any reform movements. 

Looking at history does make me appreciate how relatively small our problems are today.  I mean our biggest injustice right now is that gay people can't marry.  Back in the day, a gay persons biggest problem was not being found out and executed. 

I'm not sure if I have a point or not... this is what I was thinking about while spacing out in class tonight.  I seriously didn't even have the energy to appear interested in the lecture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment