March 8, 2012

Labyrinth

It's only forever, that's not long at all.

I love this movie.  I can't say enough things about it.  Muppets!  David Bowie!  What's not to like?  I firmly believe if not for this movie, I wouldn't have such a profound love of labyrinths.  One of these days I'm going to have to go visit one of those monastaries that have labyrinths on their grounds.  I imagine wandering around in the silence with no one but yourself is very soothing.

What captivates me most about The Labyrinth is that the entire realm the Goblin King has built is one giant Labyrinth that is interconnected.  There are woods and swamps, but still it is all within the boundaries of the labyrinth.  It's a wonderful metaphor but I won't spoil it.  If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it!

I remember this movie and the Dark Crystal scaring me a little when I was kid.  The Dark Crystal especially when they used the crystal to sap the minds of the poor little creatures.  The Dark Crystal still scares me a little.  But the Labyrinth is fantastic!  Someone did a revisit to the labyrinth in a manga series, but it was still unsatisfying!  Essentially ending the same way as it had in the movie...and for no real reason.

Oh Sara!  You know you love the Goblin King!  So what that he stole your brother!  He'd become prince of the Goblins!  What's so wrong with that?



No comments:

Post a Comment