March 14, 2012

Eternity

I spend a lot of time dwelling on weird things.  One thing I like to think about is eternity.  Now I don't feel like I think about eternity the way "normal" people do.  That is to say, I don't really know how normal people think about eternity, if they do at all, but I'm reasonably sure most people don't think about eternity the same way I do.  For instance:  I imagine when most people think about eternity, they think about characters like Dracula or immortals.  Perhaps they think of things like the universe which seems eternal, at the very least expansive.  Or maybe they think about the afterlife and heaven or hell.

These are not things which I tend to think on.  It occurred to me long ago that they are imperfect representations of the eternal.  Dracula and the immortals can be killed and did not always exist, the universe hasn't always been and will probably cease to be, heaven and hell are not the same as eternity but are concepts in and of themselves.

When I think about eternity, I concentrate on trying to "be" and ruminate on what it would mean to always have been and always be.  Eternity does not necessarily mean omniscience, so I try to clear my mind of everything else and just experience being at the most basic level.

I wonder what it would be like to be without the world around me.  To just simply exist and have nothing else in existence with me.  I wonder what it would be like to be as existence began and progressed; to bear witness to events as they unfolded or to remain untouched by them as time elapsed.  I wonder what it would be like to be when time came to an end, when civilization came to an end.  I wonder if I would be impacted by this or just remain a being continuing on and on and on.  Would I feel?  Would I feel pity, excited, fearful, angry?  Or would I just "be" ever and forever?

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment