March 13, 2017

A Touch of Introspection

Sometimes I feel like I hide behind myself, that the me I think I am is not the me I am at all.  It makes me wonder how people with multiple personality disorder feel.  At what point do you know there's someone else inside of you?  How much of them are you?  How much of you are them?  How does your brain create a new identity?  What does it mean when this happens?  Are you you, or are they you?

I can understand on a fundamental level how frightening this must be, but naturally I can't understand what it's like to live like that.  Sometimes I worry that when I write fiction, the characters I come up with are more real than I give them credit for, and I start to wonder if that isn't how these kinds of things start.  Sometimes I think I worry more than I need to.  I totally do.

No comments:

Post a Comment