March 28, 2013

Whimsey and "The Countdown"

I was out walking around and window shopping today when I came across a pair of fuzzy pink rabbit ears.  They were only $1, so naturally I bought them.  In order to complete the transaction, they wanted my e-mail address and phone number.  Now, for other stores, for other purposes, I have totally played along with this because you're shopping and you're not really thinking.  But for a $1 purchase, this just suddenly struck me as ridiculous.  So I said, "Um...No."

This seemed to catch the poor sales girl off guard, for a brief moment, both of us stared at each other.  I don't know whether she thought I was joking or not, but I was pretty serious.  Eventually, I broke the silence by saying, "I don't need a ton of sales ads over a $1 purchase," and we moved on with our lives.  Despite the discomfort from the sales girl, I wore the bunny ears for the rest of the day.  It was only after I caught a glance of myself in a mirror that I saw how ridiculous they looked and this made me laugh and smile.  I hope I made other people laugh today.  Maybe I'll wear them tomorrow with an outfit they don't clash with and see if the same result applies.

I kind of wanted to wear them tonight and go to church service, but I accidentally fell asleep after my nephew left and I missed the window of opportunity to go tonight.  I totally could have too.  I don't exactly know what a "lord's supper" service is like, but it sounded neat.  I think I heard the the priests wash feet also.  Ah well, there's always next year.

2 more days and I am officially Catholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment