March 26, 2013

Aftermath

This is the last post I plan to write dealing with confession.  To be fair, I'm really only talking about it because I don't have anything else to talk about today.  I've been reading a book on psychopathy, but I'm not sure I really want to discuss that at all.  It's been interesting, if a bit unsettling.  But I digress...

So, I do actually feel a lot better today.  Who would have guessed?  These things that I've been struggling with all my life, put into perspective, and coupled with a few words of absolution really have left me feeling better.  It's almost doubly so because there was no judgemental repercussions involved with telling someone about the wrong-doings in my life.  This is something I have struggled with time and again in Protestant churches.  Whenever I have talked to a minister of some sort about something very private, it has either ended up as church gossip, or they have told my parents about it.  Not so with the Catholic church.  I know that what I said isn't going to get spread around, because the priest can't say anything to anyone.  Also, there's something therapeutic and freeing about being able to unburden your conscience on someone else without fear of social reprisal.  I don't know.  Overall, the whole being nervous thing was for nothing, especially since I really do feel better now than I did before.

And that's all that I'm going to say on that.  Four or five posts about one topic is even too much for me.  Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment