March 11, 2014

Update on Lent Progress

I spent today in a constant state of near tears.  I don't know why, but I keep thinking about those kids who were offset in Syria.  I was imagining them walking miles without food, not knowing where they were going or whether they were going to be okay.  I think about them stuck in a foreign land, impoverished, struggling to get educated and to survive.  I'm starting to get a better idea of what it feels like to be hungry all the time.  At least I don't have to worry where my next meal will come from or if I'll be alright.  However, today I realized that anytime I eat food, it's not enjoyable.  Eating anything is starting to feel more like a chore.  I'm only eating light meals, so I'm never satisfied, and getting something on my stomach just makes me realize how hungry I still am.

On the other hand, I've started remembering scripture passages and prayers I never knew I had memorized/internalized.  It's kind of amazing.  Yesterday, I started thinking about some Psalms I don't recall ever memorizing, and today I was thinking about some passages from the New Testament.  I wish I could remember what they were now.  The down side to all of this is that my memory seems to be getting worse lately.  I wandered around in a circle at work today, trying to remember what I'd just started doing.  I'm not even really tired.  I've been sleeping well.  I'm going to have to re-evaluate the kinds of foods I've been eating and see if I can balance out a little better.  I barely remembered to post tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment