March 14, 2014

Illusive Muse

I find myself having a difficult time writing anything on the computer anymore.  When I substitute teach and all I'm doing is showing a movie or overseeing a class that already knows what it's doing, I have a lot of extra time to either read a book or write.  Since I don't carry my laptop with me, I typically have a small notebook to jot ideas down on.  I've been doing writing exercises during these days too.  For a long time, I had difficulty writing when I wasn't on a computer.  Now I can't concentrate being on the computer.

Not only that, but it seems my muse is fickle.  It only wants to give me ideas when my brain is otherwise preoccupied with mundane tasks.  Therefore, whenever I sit down to write, I can't think of anything worth writing down.  Whenever I'm doing something that I can't write, however, I have a plethora of ideas.

Actually, that just gave me inspiration.  Maybe I'll cut my losses and go write in a public venue today.  The distraction may be enough to get me to focus and write something quality.

And there you have it!  Muse in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment