October 5, 2018

Am I the Only Person Who's Bad at Emojis?

Kris texted me last night because it was getting late and I hadn't posted yet.  She wanted to remind me in case I had forgotten.  I sent her 'Thanks' with this emoji 😀.  After I sent it, I thought "That smiley face makes my 'Thanks' sound sarcastic.  Since I know Kris very well, I didn't sweat it because it doesn't really matter if she thought it was sarcastic; she knows I love and appreciate her.  However, the less I know someone, the less likely I am to send any type of emoji.  Well, to be honest, I'm also way less likely to be texting them in the first place because social interaction takes a large toll on my mental energy.  Yes even texting. 

When texting an acquaintance and I feel that the conversation calls for an emoji, I feel like Chidi from the Good Place.  He obsesses over every aspect of a decision before he is able (or unable) to make a choice.  I will scroll through the whole list of faces trying to decide if each face is saying exactly what I want.  Usually none of them do and I give up my search and just add an exclamation point or generic smiley face.  Or just skip it altogether.  A lot of times, I'll pick one and then think "That was dumb, I shouldn't have sent that".  I guess it makes me feel kind of fake.  That's probably why I don't say much to begin with.  I don't want to say anything wrong or fake. 

Sometimes I even do it when texting my husband.  John will say something ridiculous and I can't find the perfect 'What the fuck are you talking about?' face.  So I just type out "What the fuck are you talking about?"  It could have been way shorter and potentially more polite with a face. 

I feel like I should end with an emoji. 

🙀

Nailed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment