October 12, 2018

Always

I saw a picture yesterday of a couples tattoo.  They both had the word 'Always' on their ring finger with the deathly hallows symbol.  On one level, it's super adorable.  They're both nerds, they both like Harry Potter, and they want something unique to celebrate their marriage.  I just can't help but think it's actually horrible.  Snape and Lily were never together.  His crush on her was kinda creepy and he was an asshole to her son for the rest of his life until he was seconds away from death.  Yeah he helped Harry at key moments but he was still a major jerk.  Is that the symbol you really want representing your marriage?  Sure the love itself was probably pure and sweet, but I cannot ignore the context.  It's tainted. 

This is often my reaction whenever John suggest that a song could be "our song" (even though we already have 3 songs).  Most recently it was 'Never Enough' from the Greatest Showman.  If you take the song out of the movie and just listen to the lyrics, it's romantic.  The message is 'nothing in this world will be enough for me if I don't have you'.  Yeah that's romantic, but the character who sings it is trying to break up Barnum's marriage.  Then when Barnum turns her down, she ruins his whole business.  I hear all that context when I listen to the song and I don't want that kind of negativity in my marriage.  I have to vet my songs before I decide if they're truly romantic or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment