April 28, 2012

SuperAds

This week we were supposed to discuss advertisements and I was going to discuss this advertisement that has been on TV for some kind of insurance that has been bothering me.   It goes something like this:  "Scientists say on December 21st 2012 the poles are going to shift, causing gravity to hurl everyone into outerspace."  Everything is wrong with this statement.  Especially the use of "gravity".  I suggest the people who made this advertisement go sit beneath a coconut tree to discover what gravity is.

But as I was gearing up for a long rant, I was distracted with another idea.  The idea of the Superbowl.  Now, most people who watched the Superbowl in the past were sports fans who wanted to see how the season was going to end.  Superbowl eventually became a popular way for the average sports fan to gather in one location and pretend to be "there" wherever the Superbowl was being held at.  However, as sports fans usually bring wives along to these occassions and wives generally don't care about the Superbowl or the end of a season, a new phenomenon began to develop:  advertising became more clever to attract the attention of the bored people watching the Superbowl.

Generally, when people sit down to watch a show they are interested in, they do not sit to watch it because of the comercials.  People usually don't pick up the remote and say "I'm going to watch channel 8 today because I love those comercials, they crack me up."  Or "Boy, I can't wait to watch Walking Dead.  Their comercials are the bomb!"  But the Superbowl had brought advertising into a meta state.  No longer do advertisements have to try to capture the attention of the people watching the show.  Many people watch the show to SEE the advertisments.  There are even advertisements for the advertisments.  This is something I don't understand.  As a nonsports person and an anti-advertisement person, I dislike the Superbowl more than most, so I might be a little biased when I say this has become completely rediculous and ask what the hell is wrong with people.  Then again, perhaps I'm the outside voice of reason trying desperately for people to realize how they have been tricked into this situation.  Hey!  Here's a stellar idea.  Maybe if you got invited to a Superbowl party and don't like the game, instead of falling prey to the advertisers, you could designate a room for awesome movies or games?  Be proactive!  Stop the madness!

No comments:

Post a Comment