October 8, 2019

Communicating

I've been thinking about how I communicate lately.  I feel like my default style is all business.  Like someone initiates a conversation with me and my brain goes "okay, what information do they want and what is the quickest possible way I can give it to them?"  I noticed it more since texting became my main form of communication because it leaves less room for improvisation.  If I want to have a friendlier conversation, I have to force myself to go past the mechanics and say something that's not transaction based. 

The better I know someone, the less I do it but it can be hard to get over that threshold.  I'm tempted to say "I wish I was different" but I really don't.  If I change one thing about myself, my whole personality would probably be different.  And if I didn't struggle with this one thing, I would probably struggle with other things.  Like talking too much and accidentally saying something embarrassing.  I've been told by my extrovert friends/ spouse that this is a common problem.  So instead of wishing I was different, I try to learn from those who are.  That's why I married an extrovert.  He does not over think what he wants to say to people.  I've gotten a little better of doing that in person but it's hard to not go straight to the point in texts. 

I guess I could solve that by talking to people on the phone but calling someone on the phone is a literal nightmare.  If I have to call someone on the phone, I spend at least 10 minutes stressing out before I hit the call button.  And then I survive and feel stupid when it's over.  But that doesn't stop me from freaking out every time.  Brains are weird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment