January 15, 2019

Believer

So originally I had planned to write something deeply profound and personal but then I saw a movie yesterday and thought "I want to write about that!"  Personal stuff will have to wait.  How long?  Depends on how long I can distract myself and find other topics to write about.  Writing personal stuff is hard.  I believe its important but it's not easy.  On to distract-ier things!  Yes spellcheck, I know that's not a word.  Don't stifle my creativity! 

The topic of the movie is pretty serious, it just has nothing to do with my personal experience.  Although I can relate to the protagonist.  It was a documentary called 'Believer' about Dan Reynolds struggle to create an atmosphere of acceptance in the Mormon community regarding LGBTQ individuals.  Reynolds is the lead singer of the rock band Imagine Dragons.  They're kind of a big deal. 

I had heard before I watched this movie about Reynolds doing the Love Loud festival and speaking out for gay rights.  What surprised me the most was just how completely Mormon he is.  I guess I just assume whenever I hear about the religion of any rock star that they don't actually care about their religion.  I imagine someone who was raised a certain way and then branches out into the world and then disregards their beliefs or holds onto those beliefs in a marginal way.  Dan Reynolds grew up a devout Mormon in Utah and still defines himself with those beliefs. 

He talks about how at first he saw gay rights as not his problem.  It didn't affect him, it wasn't his fight.  I remember thinking the same thing when I was high school age when my feelings conflicted with what was written in scripture.  Something didn't feel right but who was I to go against the word of God?  Then Reynolds started to see how the church doctrine affected his brothers and sisters who were gay and struggling to be faithful.  Many of those struggles ended in suicide.  That must be the loneliest place in the world.  To feel so completely isolated and rejected that you don't even want to be alive.  It's painful to even imagine someone feeling this way. 

So he used his fame to do something about it.  To show those who are struggling that they are not alone.  To change enough minds and make enough noise to change church doctrine.  It's an inspiring story about someone willing to follow God and having the courage to break the rules even if it means excommunication. 

I think a lot of faith communities can learn from his story.  I think a lot of Christians feel the way Reynolds did in the beginning: uneasy about exclusion but afraid to break the rules and get kicked out of the only community they've ever known.  My personal journey seems downright easy compared to this.  Faith is much more individualistic where I live and we church hopped somewhat when I was growing up.  I have the luxury of staying in my community and going to a church that's openly accepting of LBGTQ.  The feeling of inclusiveness I feel there is unlike anything I've ever experienced in my life.  Even though I'm not gay, I'm able to be the most authentic I've ever been inside a church.  I'm able to stand before God with no filters or masks.  It is a freedom that is nothing short of divine. 

This is my prayer for churches everywhere: for freedom, inclusion, and complete authenticity.  That is where God lives. 

PS - This took a very personal turn.  Maybe I am ready to write that personally profound blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment