July 24, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises

Every year that a Batman movie graces my life is a good year.  In 2005, I was learning to become an adult.  In 2008, I was in the midst of college and having great adventures at my first year in Sequoia (one of which was driving 2 hours to see Dark Knight in a midnight showing with seven fellow employees).  This year I married my soul mate.  All good things.

It was great movie.  I left fully satisfied and excited.  It was no Dark Knight though.  I couldn't believe that this movie would surpass that level of cinematic awesomeness... and it didn't. You just can't beat the deranged anarchy of the Joker.  I'm actually really glad they didn't try.  This was different than the Dark Knight.  It had its own feel.  I hate when sequels just try to copy paste the successful part of a movie and change the details.  For instance, I heard they tried to replicate Willem Dafoe's character in Boondock Saints 2 but with a female and it just didn't work.  I'll never see it because everyone I know says its awful and I don't want to tarnish my memory of the first one. 

I also hate it when they make the same jokes in sequels.  Take Pirates of the Caribbean: Jack Sparrows obsession with rum was only vaguely funny by the end of the first movie.  When he mentioned rum in the second one, I cringed.  Sure maybe I watched the first one too many times but so did everyone else and that joke was dead.  Now I can't even find rum funny anymore cause it just makes me think of Jerry Bruckheimer beating a dead horse. 

My point is this: yes the Dark Knight Rises was a bit slow, but I appreciated that it was its own movie and that it didn't try to bank on Heath Ledgers awesomeness.  One of the unexpected highlights of the movie for me was Cillian Murphy.  His scene made me laugh. 

On a related note, my parents came by for lunch the other day and gave us the Batman comic that just so happened to be the one the movies are based on.  I guess they found it in my brothers things while cleaning the garage and just knew where it should belong.  I've started reading it and its pretty good.  The only other comic I've ever read is the graphic novel Watchmen.  The style of internal dialogue in Batman reminds of Rorschach's journal.  I don't know if this is a regular comic book thing or not. 

On an unrelated note, Olive is at the vets office getting fixed right now.  This means I will be entertained later on by a drunk acting kitty.  Good. Times.

Olive giving me 'I'm too cute for surgery' eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment